- Born on June 24, 1969 in Rodewisch, Germany
- [02/99] Dr. rer. nat. (equiv. Ph.D., Mathematics), TU Dresden, Germany
- [05/96] Diplom (equiv. M.Sc., Mathematics), TU Dresden, Germany
- [07/88] Abitur (equiv. A-levels), EOS Friedrich Engels, Chemnitz, Germany
- [since 07/04] Associate Professor for Computer Science, RWTH Aachen, Germany
- [since 11/01] Visiting Researcher, Department of Computer Science, University of Hertfordshire, UK
- [01/02-06/04] Postdoc / Assistant Computer Scientist, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
- [01/00-09/01] Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Hertfordshire, UK
- [01/99-12/99] Postdoc, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France
- [05/96-12/98] Ph.D. Student, Institute for Scientific Computing, TU Dresden,
Selected Journal Publications
- V. Mosenkis and U.N.: On optimality preserving eliminations for the minimum edge
count and optimal Jacobian accumulation problems in
linearized DAGs. Optim. Meth. Softw., 2012. To appear.
- J. Utke, U. N., C. Wunsch, C. Hill, P. Heimbach, M. Fagan, N. Tallent, and M. Strout:
OpenAD/F: A modular, open-source tool for automatic differentiation of Fortran codes.
ACM Trans. Math. Softw., 34(4):18:1-18:36, 2008
- U.N.: Optimal Jacobian accumulation is NP-complete.
Math. Prog., 112:427-441, 2006.
- U.N. and J. Riehme:
A differentiation-enabled Fortran 95 compiler.
ACM Trans. Math. Softw., 31(4)458-474, 2005
- U.N.: Optimal accumulation of Jacobians by elimination methods on the dual
computational graph. Math. Prog., 3(99):399-421, 2004.
Selected Conference Publications
- F. Rauser, J. Riehme, K. Leppkes, P. Korn, and U.N.: On the use of discrete adjoints in goal error estimation for shallow water equations. International Conference of Computational Science (ICCS 2010), pages 107-115, Amsterdam, 2010.
- R. Hannemann, W. Marquardt, U.N., and B. Gendler: Discrete first- and second-order adjoints and automatic differentiation for the sensitivity analysis of dynamic models International Conference of Computational Science (ICCS 2010), pages 297-305, Amsterdam, 2010.
- J. Utke, L. Hascoet, C. Hill, P. Hovland, and U.N.: Toward Adjoinable MPI. IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2009), pages 1-8, Rome, 2009.
- U.N., J. Utke, J. Riehme, P. Hovland, and C. Hill: A framework for proving correctness of adjoint message passing programs. European PVM/MPI Users’ Group conference (Euro PVM/MPI 2009), pages 316-321, Rome, 2009.
- U.N.: Call Tree Reversal is NP-complete. International Conference on Automatic Differentiation (AD 2008) pages 13-22 in LNCSE 64 (Springer), Bonn, 2008.
- U.N.: The Art of Differentiating Computer Programs. SIAM, 2012.
- U.N. and O. Schenk (eds.): Combinatorial Scientific Computing. Computational Science Series , CRC Press, 2012.
[crc press] -
- C. Bischof, M. Bücker, P. Hovland, U.N., and J. Utke (eds.): Advances in Automatic Differentiation. LNCSE 64, Springer, 2008.
- M. Bücker, G. Corliss, P. Hovland, U.N., and B. Norris (eds.): Automatic Differentiation: Applications, Theory, and Tools. LNCSE 50, Springer, 2006.
- G. Corliss, C. Faure, A. Griewank, L. Hascoet, and U.N. (eds.): Automatic Differentiation of Algorithms: From Simulation to Optimization. Springer, 2002.
Google Scholar profile
Selected Third-Party Funded Research Projects
- A Hybrid Approach to Adjoint C++ Code, PI, DFG NA 487/4-1, 2010-2013.
- The Aachen Platform for Structured Automatic Manipulation of Mathematical
Models, PI, RWTH Aachen Exploratory Research Space, 2009-2011.
- Combinatorial Aspects in Algorithmic Differentiation, PI, DFG NA 487/2-1, 2008-2011.
- Differentiation-Enabled Compiler Technology, PI, EPSRC GR/R/55252/01, EPSRC EP/D062071/1, EPSRC EP/F069383, 2002-2010.
- Adjoint Compiler Technology and Standards, Technical Director, NSF-ITR OCE-0205590, 2002-2005.
Selected Further Academic Activities / Memberships
- [05/11] Chair Fifth SIAM Workshop on Combinatorial Scientific Computing
- [07/09] Chair Eighth European Workshop on Automatic Differentiation
- [02/09] Chair First Dagstuhl Seminar on Combinatorial Scientific Computing
- [07/08] Chair Fifth International Conference on Automatic Differentiation
- [since 2008] Member of the Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd.